Mr Alexander Nixon founded Devon Court Stud in 1932 and the first calf was registered in 1933.
Heifers and bulls were introduced from well-known studs of the day including Ennisview, Tocal, Mascotte, Golf Hill, Bexley and Hobartville.
Sires to make a lasting impact were purchased from South Boorook and so began the successful show ring parade of champions - Atherton, Shakespeare, Emperor 72, Oxley, Musbury and so on.
With this success came record-breaking sales of the 1970s.
Very few Hereford or Hereford cross herds would not have been touched by Devon Court genetics.
The focus always was, and still is, to produce commercially affordable bulls with traits suited to the feedlot and finishing markets whilst leaving a viable cow for the breeder.
Devon Court Today
Devon Court Herefords, established in 1932, is based in the Western Downs region on 21,000 acres, 15km north-west of Drillham in Queensland Australia. Devon Court Herefords has been operating for over 3 generations and remains a family owned and operated business.
The Devon Court Herefords stud comprises of 300 stud female studs and an additional 650 commercial cows alongside a grain farming enterprise.
In 2017 we introduced the very first Brahman cattle to our seed stock business with great success, winning Grand Champion Female at Sydney Royal 2018. now with 8 Brahman females and the use of IVF we continue to grow the herd.
Our focus is on producing commercially affordable bulls with traits suited to the feedlot and finishing markets whilst leaving a viable cow for the breeder.
Our Commitment to Animal Welfare, Environmental Management & Quality Assurance
- We have a long and proud history of treating our herd with the best welfare possible. We operate a full cattle rotational grazing program. This includes new infrastructure including water points and fencing to best utilise our paddocks to create better ground cover, add soil microbial activity and carbon potential. This increases the ability for our paddocks to absorb and retain moisture.
- We have implemented Regenerative Agriculture through high quality farming and workplace practices with full management of environmental impacts across our operation.
- We utilise the latest software for mapping and drought management, this helps us to continue to better the land and environment we live in for future generations.
Quality Hereford Genetics & Seedstock
Our internationally known Devon Court Herefords breeding program is renowned for providing high-quality seed stock. Our program focuses on the future innovation of genetics, technology and producing an ethically supplied and sustainable herd.
Devon Court Herefords have access to the breeds best bulls that have been selected for industry-leading performance and carcass quality.
Devon Court Herefords semen & embryo sales are marketed within Australia & Internationally and now online.
Genetic packages are available all year round from:
- Bulls (September bull sale);
- Females- cow/calf, heifers & show heifer prospects;
- Frozen Embryos;
Awards & Recognition
Devon Court Advance N142
Grand Champion Hereford Brisbane Royal Show 2019
Glendan Park Lassoo L137
Qualifier for Champion of the World 2017
Minlucowie Jubilant J123
Supreme Champion Bull Sydney Royal Easter Show 2016 Top Price Wodonga National Sale $95,000
Devon Court is a member of: